Road Safety Guidelines(28/08/2009)
Some safety recommendations and helpful tips to travel with complete peace of mind around the city on a db.
As is proper safety practice dbs are regularly serviced to ensure they are fit for their intended use at all times.
- Respect road signs and signals (red lights, one-way streets, stop signs, etc.).
- Rules of the Road apply to all road users.
- Do not cycle on footpaths.
- Cycle in single file even when cycling in a group.
- Signal changes of direction with your arm.
- Watch out for vehicle doors opening.
- Do not undertake vehicles if they are turning left.
- On the road, keep left. Unless specific paths are provided, you must follow this rule to ensure the safety of everyone on the road.
- Always consider your own safety and that of others at all times.
- Be aware of other cyclists and ensure they can always see you.
- Always look out for pedestrians, particularly at traffic lights and pedestrian crossings.
- Always be alert to what’s happening around you. Wearing headphones while cycling is not advised.
- When you brake in an emergency, keep your weight on the saddle.
Advice from dublinbikes
Before you set out, here are some helpful tips to make your journey comfortable and safe.
- Adjust the saddle to waist level; you should be able to put your feet on the ground.
- Check the brakes, tyres and lighting are working.
- Adapt your speed to suit weather conditions.
- Wear reflective clothing in bad weather conditions and at night.
- Do not transport passengers; the db is designed to carry only one person.
- We recommend that you wear a cycling helmet and high visibility clothing.
- You must adhere to the General Conditions of Access and Use.
- To use dublinbikes, you must be at least 14 years of age (minimum height: 1.5M).
- Public liability insurance covering cycling related accidents is recommended to use the service.
- When returning your db, ensure that it is locked correctly on its stand.
- Use the anti-theft device if you are leaving your db for a short period.
- You must return your db within 24 hours. After that, the guarantee of €150 will be debited and the db will be reported stolen.
- Do not lend the db or your subscription card to any other person (you are bound by the General Conditions of Access and Use).